Wednesday, August 3, 2011

The You Headline

Today's tip from sales trainer Skip Miller focuses on an important part of your sales language - changing the word "I" to "You."

Why is it we always want to talk about ourselves?

“Here’s what I would like to do…”

“What I need is…”

“If I could do this, we could…”

A sales person feels so powerful telling a prospect or customer what they will do for them. They want to let the prospect know how important they are to them, and emphasize this fact my using the word, “I”.

Well, this may feel quite empowering to the sales person, but from the customer perspective…it’s all about them… and we know this…but fail to use this tool enough.

Change it to

“Here’s what I would like to do…What you said you wanted to do is…”

“What I need is…You said you needed…”

“If I could do this, we could…You said if you could do this, and we can help, then you could…”

Always review your written correspondence for too many “I’s”. It’s about them, not about you. By using the word you and their name, the customer is feeling like your heard them. They feel validated, and their rapport with you increases. By using the word I, they think of you as a vendor doing something for them, just like everyone else.

You want customers to get back to you, and you also want to be in control of the sales process, right? Get rid of the I’s, and start thinking of them, not about “I”.

A recognized authority on the psychology of sales performance, Skip Miller has helped countless companies, already at the height of success in their respective fields, achieve an even greater level of sales productivity and success. Learn more at www.m3learning.com

No comments: