Friday, June 10, 2011

Screeners See Right Through These Cheesy Techniques

Today sales expert Art Sobczak uses a real-life example to remind us of sales tactics to avoid - one of the biggest being stale, manipulative techniques to get past the gatekeeper.

This actually happened to me a few years ago, and I was reminded of it when a reader told me he received a call from a guy using the same technique.

The caller was suspiciously evasive with my assistant: "I'm calling him back. Will you connect me now please?" he insisted.

My calls aren't screened, but I do want to know who's calling and the nature of the call. "There's some guy on line one ... says he's calling you back. I don't recognize the name. Sounds like kind of a jerk."

The caller greeted me:

"Hi Art, Gary Smith with International Investors."

He then breathlessly spewed a pitch on municipal bonds.

I interrupted him. "I don't know you and never called you. You told my assistant you were calling me back."

"Yeah, well, heh, heh ... I called you a few days ago, you weren't in, so now I'm calling you back. I told the truth."

Wonderful. Someone who practices "technical truth."

Perhaps deception, mincing of words, evasion of questions, and outright lies are accepted by and expected from some people, but I believe they have no place in professional sales. I have to wonder, when callers use these tactics, what are they thinking? That the person they actually get through to--if they do--is going to congratulate them for being a slimeball? Hey, nice job buddy on using the old, "It's a personal call" technique to get through to me. Haven't heard that one in a while!

Tactics to Avoid
Here are tactics to avoid when dealing with screeners, and on voice mail ... approaches that clearly label callers as time-wasting, self-interested salesmen.

-Leaving only a name and number for a call back. Not identifying your company suggests you have something to hide. Granted, it almost forces the prospect to return the call, thinking it might be a prospect or customer. He might even get his expectations up. But the balloon falls with a thud when he realizes it's a salesperson trying to sell him something.

-Making a statement, then a demand. As in, "I need to speak with Jan Smith. Please connect me." Sure. Let's try to intimidate the screener into putting the call through. What are these people thinking?

-Believing the nonsense of, "Never give screeners any information because they can't buy from you." Maybe most of them can't make the final decision to buy, but they can make the decision that no one will buy from you.

Keep in mind what the screener says to the boss after they put you on hold and announce the call to the boss. You don't want them to say, "There's some bozo on the line who sounds like he's selling something. Want me to ditch him?"

What To Do Instead
Here are some ideas on what to do to enhance your chances of reaching your decision maker, getting help in doing so, and having more and better information once you arrive.

-Ask for help. The simplest, yet most effective technique I know is asking for help. You appeal to a person's innate sense of feeling needed, wanted ... important.

-Ask for information. Engage in "social engineering" as I explain in "Smart Calling." Gather as much elementary, factual, qualifying information as you can before speaking with your decision maker. They expect it. Their job is not to waste time educating you with stuff you should already know by the time you reach them. Preface your questions to screeners, assistants ... anyone, with, "I want to be sure that what I have will be of interest to Kathy. There's probably some information you could give me ..." This also positions you apart from typical salespeople who don't respect the buyer's time.

-Have something of value. This is the not so secret "secret" to getting people to return your calls, or at least them being in a positive frame of mind when you call back. You must, I repeat, must, have something of interest for them. Why would they take your call otherwise?

-Your value item should answer a question: "What will you help them gain or avoid?" They don't care diddly about your products or services. They'll let you through or return your message if they suspect you might be able to help them get something they want, or avoid something they don't. And the more customized and relevant your value item, the better (see the point above about gathering information).

For example, a value statement to a screener could be, "We specialize in helping H.R. Directors spend less time screening resumes of unqualified applicants. Depending upon whether or not that's an issue for him, we might have something that he'd like to take a look at. I'd like to ask him a few questions to determine that." And that is very easily modified into a voice mail message as well.

Want to get through more often and have more calls returned so you have a chance to sell? Then don't sound and act like a stereotypical salesperson.

Art Sobczak helps sales pros use the phone to prospect, service and sell more effectively, while eliminating morale-killing rejection. To get FREE weekly emailed TelE-Sales Tips visit: www.BusinessByPhone.com

No comments: