Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Take the Opportunity to Compliment Others

I don't know about you, but an out-of-the-blue compliment really does a lot for me. Something like that can carry you through the day, or sometimes even the week! Today sales expert Jim Meisenheimer shares a story that made him recognize the power of a sincere compliment - hopefully it will do the same for you!

A few years ago I spent three days in St. Louis attending the National Speakers Association Winter Workshop. I arrived late Friday afternoon and my luggage arrived late Sunday afternoon.

Had that happened to me 15 years ago I would have gone "Ballistic" for the entire weekend. I must be growing up because I treated the "Entire luggage thing" as an inconvenience – and a minor one at that.

During one of the breakout sessions a speaker emphasized it was very important to tell people what they are doing right.

These genuine compliments will make people more receptive to you and your ideas.

I thought it was a good concept and made a written note of it.

The next day I took a seat in the last row to hear the opening general
session. A few minutes into the presentation a woman sat down next to me and introduced herself as K.R.

After the initial introduction she said, "I've been using your 12 Best Questions To Ask Customers for several years with extremely good results." WOW a compliment first thing in the morning! I told her, "That makes my day."

Usually, after a program, I'm "Outa there." This time, however, I stayed to chat with K.R. She told me about the work she's doing and the book she was writing.

She also told me she was related to Albert Einstein, which she has cleverly worked into the title of her first book.

When I go to these National Speaker Association workshops and conventions I usually find myself running like a gazelle between the breakout sessions. The compliment got me to "Simmer Down" and take an interest in K.R.'s business.

Anytime you have the opportunity to compliment a prospect or an existing customer do it. If your compliment is sincere and genuine your prospect may be more receptive and open to investing more time with you and your ideas.

A few minutes before the next session began, we shook hands and said "Goodbye."

I realized I wasn't touched by an Angel but I was touched by an Einstein.

Jim Meisenheimer publishes The Sales TrailBlazer Newsletter, a fresh and high content newsletter dedicated to helping you grow your business and multiply your income. To learn more, visit http://www.startsellingmore.com/

No comments: