Thursday, January 20, 2011

What Not to Do in an Introductory Email

Today sales trainer Wendy Weiss shares an experience with email prospecting that left much to be desired. Take her tips and avoid sending an off-putting email like the one she received!

I was recently approached by the assistant of a fairly well-known sales trainer asking for help in promoting the sales trainer's new book. I get frequent requests to promote products and programs to my list (that's you) and I do so when I believe there's a good match and that the program or product would be helpful or of interest to my readers.

I was somewhat familiar with this particular trainer's work and generally have found it to be excellent. Her assistant, however, has clearly not read any of the trainer's material. This is the email the assistant sent to me:

"I would like to introduce you to (Trainer's Name) new book, (Name of Book). I believe it has wonderful ideas that your blog readers would find very helpful...

"I would like to achieve at least one of three objectives:

1. Send you the book and then set up an interview with (Trainer's Name).
2. Send you the book and ask you to write a review.
3. Permission for (Trainer's Name) to submit an article on the topic.

"Regards,"

Really. That was it. No 'What's In It For Me' from Wendy's point of view. Instead, the assistant declared my readers would find it to be helpful and then she listed the three things she would like to achieve. This email was all about the assistant, her employer and her goals. The tone was harsh and demanding.

The first rule in any introductory email (or call) is: It's about the prospect - it's not about you. Put yourself in your prospect's shoes and identify the appropriate way to approach your prospect.

How much better this email could have been:

"(Trainer's Name) asked me to contact you to ask for your help."

Her new book, (Name of Book), will be out soon and (Trainer's Name) wondered if you'd be able to help us publicize the book.

We'd be delighted to forward a review copy so that you can assess the quality of the work.

This is how others are planning on helping:

• Interviewing (Trainer's Name)
• Writing a review of the book
• Running one of (Trainer's Name) articles.

"In addition, (Trainer's Name) wanted me to let you know that in return we'd be happy to publicize one of your future products or programs.

"Please respond to this email or call me directly at (Phone Number) if you'll be able to help us out or if you have any questions or concerns.

"Regards,"

And had the email been phrased something like the above, perhaps I would have taken action on it.

Your prospects respond or don't respond to your language. If you're not getting the response you hope for, take another look at your language. It is make or break—or, in this case, read and delete.

Learn more from Wendy Weiss at http://www.wendyweiss.com or contact her at wendy@wendyweiss.com.

No comments: