Tuesday, June 2, 2009

A Handy Comeback to Requests for a Discount

Here's a helpful tip from sales trainer Kelley Robertson that will help you when a prospect asks for a discount.

One of Robertson's training clients sent him the following email:

"I sent my prospect a proposal and his first request was that I drop my price. However, I remembered your advice of asking for time to think about his request and told him that I would get back to him the next day. When I was discussing his request with my business partner a few hours later, my prospect sent me an email and suggested that she was open to a concession and I was able to close the deal without resorting to giving her the discount I had initially intended."

One of the most effective strategies you can use when negotiating a deal is to say, "Let me think about that and I'll get back to you."

"Unfortunately, most salespeople hesitate to use this technique because they're afraid they will lose the sale," says Robertson. "However, I consistently found that taking time to think about the other person's request causes them to make a counter-offer. That's because a highly-qualified prospect wants to do business with you and is willing to make a concession. Asking for time to think about the offer places pressure on their decision-making process and can give you the upper hand."

So, before you accept your prospect's demand, tell them that you will think about it and get back to them.

As President of The Robertson Training Group, Kelley has helped thousands of professionals improve their business results with his engaging approach to sales training and speaking. Learn more at www.robertsontraininggroup.com

No comments: