Wednesday, June 11, 2008

How to Sell the Higher-Priced Option

Telesales expert Art Sobczak finds sales lessons everywhere. Recently he wrote about a conversation he overheard in the computer aisle of an electronics store.

Customer: "What's the difference between the $400 model and the $675 version?"

Sales Rep: "Well, it has a few more features, but the $400 model does a pretty good job."

The customer agreed to get the $400 model, and the rep went to retrieve one from the back. While waiting, I overheard the customer say to his wife, "I probably would have gone for the $675 version, but I guess we don't need it."

This happens all the time.

According to Sobczak, "When you hear questions about the differences between lower and higher-priced versions of what you sell, what they're really saying is, 'I could buy the higher-end product/service, but I'm not yet convinced of the value. So help me understand why I should get it.'"

Here are the typical mistakes Sobczak sees reps make in this situation, and what you should do instead:

Mistake: Gagging out a data-dump explanation
Just like at any point in the sales process, if you present data without knowing what, specifically, they would or could be interested in, it could cause their eyes to glaze over. Worse, you might provide fodder for an objection.

Mistake: Downplaying the higher-priced option
For fear of losing any type of sale, some reps play up the lower-priced option while not knowing anything about the prospect's situation. They make an assumption that the person won't buy higher. This assumption takes money out of the rep's pocket.

"Again, keep in mind that when they ask about the higher-priced item they could be saying, 'I can be sold on the higher-priced version...I just need to justify it,'" says Sobczak. "Your first response should not be presenting. Instead, question. Focus questions on uncovering reasons why the top-of-the-line version delivers more value, to determine if that's what they need or want."

For example, "Well, the Deluxe Option has a few nice extras that might be a good fit for you. Let's find out. Tell me, do you ever run into situations where you have to manually extract the additional data you need from your database? I see. Well, this version does that for you. And, how about situations where..."

Or, "I'll be happy to explain. So I can make my comments most relevant, please tell me, how do you plan on using the system?"

"There are many more sales reps who sell on low price than there are buyers who will buy strictly because of price," says Sobczak. "Find out what they need, and everyone wins."

Art Sobczak, President of Business By Phone Inc., specializes in one area only: working with business-to-business salespeople - both inside and outside - designing and delivering content-rich programs that begin showing results from the very next time participants get on the phone. Learn more at www.businessbyphone.com

No comments: