Thursday, July 14, 2011

How Do You Measure Success?

Today's post from sales trainer Joe Guertin recognizes the importance of the sales process - not just the end result. Remember to keep all of your hard work in mind!

I remember one of my “great weeks.” I closed three very large sales, and was a real hero around the office. I felt good (and rightfully so). But in reality, it was the months of hard work, follow-through and attention to detail that made that week happen. So, why didn’t I see those weeks as ‘great,’ too?

While nothing beats ‘crossing the goal line,’ we should be just as excited about the race itself. While we measure success with signed orders (nothing smells so good as fresh ink on a contract), it’s those steps along the way that make it all happen.

Streetfighters measure their steps as they go. I recommend that, every Friday, review your activities for the past week. Putting out fires and providing service are good….but are only a passing grade. Do you have a balanced week that also included customer brainstorming, future planning, and planting seeds for future business? I tend to be a little more critical than necessary, but it has served me well. When I don’t perform, I don’t give myself passing grades.

Joe Guertin is an advertising sales trainer, speaker and coach. His programs have informed and entertained sales professionals nationwide. Visit his Sales Resource Center at www.StreetFighterSelling.com

No comments: