Monday, February 14, 2011

Signal Your Intent

One of the most important things to me in the selling process is that the buyer always feel comfortable. I feel better during a sale if they always know where we are and what is going on - and this tip from sales trainer Kelley Robertson accomplishes just that. Today Robertson shares the importance of signaling your intent to your client, and making everyone feel comfortable.

One of my pet peeves is people who don't signal when driving. From a simple lane change to a turn at an intersection, it never ceases to amaze me how many people don't bother to signal their intent.

Sales people should signal their intent, too.

Here's what I mean.

As you start a discussion with a new prospect, outline how you plan to manage the sales conversation by saying something like,

"Rick, I'd like to start by asking you a few questions to gain a better understanding of your situation. That will help me determine if I have the right solution for you.

Assuming I can help you, I will prepare some information and we'll agree on a day and time to discuss it. Does that sound fair?"

Or, if this is a subsequent meeting or sales call you can signal your intent by saying,

"Susan, as we discussed in our last conversation, my goal today is to review the proposal, answer any questions you might have and to discuss the next steps. Does that still work for you?"

You may think that this fundamental step won't affect the outcome of your meeting or sales call. However, it is highly effective because it tells your prospect that you actually follow some sort of process while demonstrating your professionalism, expertise and self-control.

As President of The Robertson Training Group, Kelley has helped thousands of professionals improve their business results with his engaging approach to sales training and speaking. Learn more at www.RobertsonTrainingGroup.com.

No comments: