Thursday, April 2, 2009

This "Innocent" Word Kills Your Credibility

The English language is a tricky thing. Small words can take on big meaning, and words you think mean nothing can make or break a sale. Sales trainer Kim Duke wants to throw open the doors on one of those small words that carry big meaning - and most people use without realizing - "just".

How the Word JUST Kills Your Credibility

"I love my sister," says Duke. "She's my only sibling. She's important, she's fabulous, she's smart, loving and she's always got my back. But there's something she says that drives me nuts."

She'll leave a message on my voice mail saying "Hey Kim - it's just your sister calling."

"JUST my sister, the only person on the planet who knows all my secrets, what I looked like in my Grade 5 photo and who understands what I'm thinking with only a look???"

Some Examples of Nasty "Justs" That Are Showing Up With You:


On the phone...
"Oh hi Client X, I'm calling to just touch base to see if you've reviewed my proposal?"

In email...
"It was wonderful meeting you on Tuesday. I wanted to just see if you've had a chance to try our product yet?"

In person...
"If you could just squeeze me in - I'll only take 10 minutes of your time."


People use JUST as a way to relieve pressure, guilt and pushiness.


However, it makes you look and sound unsure, needy, and desperate. It doesn't display confidence in you or your product/service at all. Think of how these phrases sound instead:

"Hey Kim - it's your sister calling."
"Hi Bob - I saw sparks flying over your office so I knew you'd read my proposal."
"I've been thinking about your business and I've come up with a brilliant idea."

"Trust me - you're going to catch yourself saying the word JUST a lot, however, do your best to save it for when it makes sense. And with customers it never does."

Kim Duke is an unconventional, sassy and savvy sales expert who shows women small biz owners and entrepreneurs how to increase sales in a fun, easy, stress-free way! Learn more and sign up for her free e-zine at www.salesdivas.com

No comments: