Friday, March 13, 2009

What Happened When the TV Turned Off

Sales trainer Bill Caskey recently attended a Brian Tracy learning expo and came away with a new outlook that he shared in a recent blog post. Read on and try it yourself!

I heard Brian Tracy speak the other night. Since we preach "action", here is the action I took after I heard him: I've turned off my TV.

Now, I'm not a big 4-hour-a-night-TV-guy, but I found myself watching too many news shows-how bad things are-how the world is going to explode-how we're in a deep, deep recession.

Tracy Said, "You Control What Gets In Your Mind"

Actually, he didn't say it quite like that - but he made a big point of "no one is more responsible for your future than you." And with that comes 'what goes into your mind'. So I said "no more" to the news/business crap on TV. You'll never guess what happened?

I actually felt happier this week.

I worked out more. I lost 3 pounds. I played basketball for the first time in months. I made calls that I should have made months ago. I blogged more. I spent more time with my great team. And I had a more optimistic outlook on the future of our business. All from turning off the TV.

I encourage you to do the same. The media loves the "fear-scape" around the whole economic mess. Don't blame 'em. Most of them are failing out of business. They're losing so many eyeballs, they have to create fear. And they do. And they're damn good at it. And what's worse is we get sucked into it.

Customers Rely On Your Clear Head

But a salesperson is involved in a head game every hour of the day. You and I don't need anything going into our head - without our permission. Our customers rely on us to comfort them when making a big decision. They depend on our clear-headed thinking and being unemotional when recommending solutions to them. We can't let them down by being dispirited from the news.

Take Those Hours and Spend Them Differently


So, what do you do in that open spot? Listen to podcasts on business. Read self-help books. Read books on internet marketing. Catch up with other business leaders and discuss ideas on ways to grow your business. Pick up old books on goal setting, time management, writing and marketing.

Watch what happens. Abundance reappears. Detachment gets stronger. Prospects show up. As do other opportunities. And you operate with more integrity and joy.

Bill Caskey is the President of Caskey, a training firm that specializes in training and developing B2B sales teams through face to face training, teleconferencing, written materials, custom podcasts and one on one coaching. Learn more at http://caskeyone.com

No comments: