Tuesday, January 29, 2008

"Setting the Table" for Referrals

Getting referrals is one of the best (and easiest!) ways to build your business. However, many salespeople are timid about asking for referrals. Business coach Tom Kelly has the advice you need to ask for referrals in a considerate and professional manner.

"In order to effectively generate referrals for your business, you need to set the expectation up front with your clients," says Kelly. "This way, your clients know that you are looking for referrals, and you know what exactly you need to do to earn their referrals." Below is an example of how to accomplish this:

You: "Mrs. Client, may I take a moment to share with you how I build my business?"

Client: "Sure."

You: "Well, what I enjoy most about what I do and where my time is best served is working with my clients. I want to spend as much time as possible serving my clients and exceeding your expectations. In order for me to spend more time with my clients and less time marketing or prospecting for new business I really need the help of my satisfied clients."

"Please understand, I'm certainly not asking for any referrals from you now. After all, we just started working together! However, in a couple of months or even weeks, when you are clearly realizing the benefits of my services and have gotten even more value than you expected, would you be comfortable sharing the results you have experienced with others and introduce me to those people who might benefit from my services?"

Client: "Sure, I don't see why not."

You: "That sounds great. Thanks in advance for the consideration. Just so I know what it will take to make you a raving fan, what can I do to make you comfortable enough to actually want to refer business to me?"

"Having this conversation up front with your clients allows you to let your clients know that you are looking for referrals, gets their permission to do so, and also allows them to tell you exactly what you need to do to earn their referrals," says Kelly.

"By 'setting the table' up front, you remove any awkwardness around the process of referring business to you, and it allows you to feel comfortable after you exceed their expectations to ask them for referrals."

Tom Kelly is the founder and owner of Potential In Motion, Inc. As a coach, Tom is dedicated to working with salespeople, entrepreneurs and small business owners that want to reach their full potential in business and life. Visit his website at www.potentialinmotion.com

No comments: