Thursday, June 24, 2010

Are You Training Your Customer to Do This?

Sales trainer Kim Duke does a great job of passing on sales lessons in a fun, interesting way. Today she shares a story that gave her a flash of realization on how you can improve your sales!

Recently I was grocery shopping with a long list (getting ready for a dinner party). One of the grocery store managers came over to me and asked me if he could help. Loved that!

I thanked him and said I'd almost found everything but that this location didn't have local lamb.

He said ..."Actually - our new meat manager just put out 4 packages of lamb - people have been asking for it."

We walked over to the meat department and there, shoved in a teeny-tiny corner, with NO SIGNAGE were 4 lamb roasts. (Not what I was looking for)

He tapped the roasts with a little bit of annoyance in his voice and said ...

"See - people ask for this, we put out 4 packages and NO ONE BUYS IT. It's frustrating for us."

I looked at him with a big smile and said...

"I can tell you WHY they haven't been sold."

His eyes opened wide "Please tell me!"

I explained:

1. You've never carried this product before so people are used to NOT BUYING IT.
2. NO SIGNAGE that says NEW! LOCAL LAMB
3. Lamb roasts aren't popular - the food TV shows and magazines focus on other cuts.

....and finally......

"You've TRAINED your customers to NOT EXPECT IT"

Meat manager Tom said...

" WOW - I never thought of it that way before! I'm absolutely bringing this up at our next meeting."

Are You Mad At YOUR Customer for NOT BUYING?

Be honest. I bet you've grouched and growled to yourself and others that customers weren't buying something new you've launched.

Guess what? They haven't changed their BUYING HABITS to include you. YET.

Remember - when you're launching something new, it takes time for people to switch their habit. So you'll need more exposure and time to get your new/changed product/service off the ground.

Take a look at what you've currently trained your customer NOT TO BUY.

Kim Duke is an unconventional, sassy and savvy sales expert who shows women small biz owners and entrepreneurs how to increase sales in a fun, easy, stress-free way! Learn more and sign up for her free e-zine at www.salesdivas.com

No comments: