Tuesday, April 27, 2010

A Refreshing Approach

People get so many marketing calls now a days, you have to do something to stand out from the crowd. Sales trainer Kelley Robertson came across one approach that might work for you!

The delay of the other person to respond when I answered the telephone told me immediately that it was a telemarketing call. However, the caller's initial approach caught my attention and caused me to take a few minutes to speak with her.

After identifying that she was indeed talking to Kelley Robertson, the caller proceeded to say, "I'll let you know right up front that this is marketing call. Is it okay if I get right to the point?" I was intrigued so I said yes. Unfortunately, the rest of her approach caused me to lose interest in about 6 seconds mostly due to the fact that it was obvious she was reciting from a script and most of what she said was corporate hyperbole.

This company is on the right track. Their initial opening is much different than most companies and I suspect this helps them increase the number of people they speak with. Their question, "Is it okay if I get right to the point?" almost commands a 'yes' reply without insistent pressure.

They could improve their approach (and results) by simplifying the description of what they do and teaching their callers how to sound more natural and less like they are reading from a script.

How can you change your approach so it is more refreshing to the people you're calling?

As President of The Robertson Training Group, Kelley has helped thousands of professionals improve their business results with his engaging approach to sales training and speaking. Learn more at www.RobertsonTrainingGroup.com.

No comments: