Friday, December 3, 2010

You Are Selling

Sometimes we get so lost in trying to build rapport, relationships, and client friendships, that we forget what we're actually doing - selling! Here's a great reminder (or wake-up call!) from sales trainer and cold calling expert Wendy Weiss.

Yesterday I had a conversation with a new client. He was describing his company's sales process which they start off with an email to their suspects. That first email includes a link that directs recipients to a web page where they can download a complimentary report. This is the first contact my new client's company has with any identified suspect. My client related this to me and explained their rationale for starting out with an email and a complimentary report: "I don't want my prospects to think I'm trying to sell them something."

This "I don't want my prospects to think I'm trying to sell them something" notion is quite pervasive...and it always troubles me. Here's the issue: You are trying to sell your prospects something. That is the truth. And what's more, your prospects know it.

The idea that you can approach prospects in a way that they do not think you're trying to sell something is at best disingenuous, at worst it's dishonest. When you send a suspect that complimentary report (or download or sample) the only reason that you're sending it is because you've identified them as a 'suspect' and you are looking to start a conversation - a selling conversation. You know it and they know it.

"But wait, Wendy," some of you cry. "I want to build relationships." "I want to get to know my prospects." "I want to build rapport."

Good. That's what you're supposed to be doing. Why are you building relationships, getting to know your prospects and building rapport? It's because you want to sell something.

"But wait, Wendy, I really take care of my customers and want to build strong relationships with them!"

Good. You're supposed to take care of your customers. Over time, if you're doing your job, you will build strong relationships with customers. That's what you're supposed to be doing. But why? Reality check: So that you can keep your customers and so that they'll continue to buy from you.

"But Wendy, some of my customers become my friends!"

That's nice. Doesn't change the fact that bottom line, you still want to keep them as customers so that they'll continue to buy from you.

When suspects or prospects receive your complimentary report they make a decision. They look at the offer and decide if that offer is of value to them. If it is, they'll accept it. If they don't think it's of value they won't. Prospects know this opens the door to additional sales contact. The process and skill of your follow-up is what then determines whether or not that prospect becomes a customer.

Your prospects are not stupid. They know that you're a sales person and they know that you'd like to sell them something. It appears, however, the only people that don't know they're selling are some sales representatives.

Selling is what moves our economy. Selling is what pays the mortgage, the car payments and puts food on the table. I look forward to the day when sales professionals hold their heads up high and pridefully shout out: "I am selling!"

Learn more from the author, Wendy Weiss, at http://www.wendyweiss.com or email her at wendy@wendyweiss.com.

No comments: