Friday, September 9, 2011

Are You a Student of Sales?

Today sales trainer Kelley Robertson gives us a great reminder - never stop learning!

The business world is constantly changing but many sales people don't keep pace with these changes. Instead, they continue to use tired tactics, outdated scripts, and ineffective approaches.

Consider these questions...

--When was the last time you attended a sales training workshop?
--What was the last sales book you read?
--How often do you implement a new technique, strategy or approach?
--What changes have you made in your sales approach in the last three month? Six months? Twelve?
--Are other sales people in your company achieving better results than you are? If so, what are they doing differently? What could you learn from them?

Several years ago I attended a conference and one of the breakout sessions focused on negotiating skills. I struck up a conversation with the guy beside me and learned that he was the chief negotiator for a prominent gravel company. When he told me that he had held that position for more than 15 years, I asked why he was attending this particular program.

"I can always learn something and even if the session only reinforces what I know, it will be worth it."

What a great perspective!

He truly epitomized the concept of being a lifelong learner and reminded me of the importance of keeping an open mind.

To succeed in today's challenging business climate and increase your sales, it is essential to maintain a student's mindset and constantly look for ways to refine your skill and update your knowledge.

As President of The Robertson Training Group, Kelley has helped thousands of professionals improve their business results with his engaging approach to sales training and speaking. Learn more at www.robertsontraininggroup.com

3 comments:

steve @ sales recruitment said...

Kelley is absolutely one hundred per cent right. No one is ever too good at their job to learn something new, to understand a different perspective, to practice a new technique, try a different tac or get inspired by a book.

Those who 'get' sales are the ones that work hard to constantly imrpove their understanding of their products, the people they sell to, the people they work with and the new techniques and advice of people who also 'get' sales.

You want to be in succesful in sales? Follow this advice, strive to improve yourself daily and you'll do well.

Justin said...

Kelley - I am so glad you brought this up. I just finished an executive certificate in negotiations, and I found that one of the best opportunities to reinforce my consultative sales skills while picking up some pointers on techniques used in arbitration and mediation that helped me with my presentations. I feel this is as important as product knowledge, and gets less attention when it is more important.

Chic Furniture said...

I was very pleased to find this site. I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post. Big thanks for the useful info.....