Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Staying Competitive

"After all is said and done, much more is said than done, is a quote I often use," says networking expert Andrea Nierenberg.

"Today more than ever, the power of follow up, follow through and staying on your client's radar screen will clearly keep you 'top of mind' and someone they may call on first when the need arises or when you create that need," says Nierenberg.

Here are a few suggestions that I've incorporated into my 'daily sales tool kits':

* Create Google Alerts for all of your clients, contacts and prospects. It is a terrific tool for staying in touch and to say hello with an idea.

*Buy a digital pen! They are a great conversation piece and a time saver. There are many on line and the software syncs to your computer so that you do not have to rewrite your notes and they automatically go into your contact management file.

As a conversation piece--people always ask me "why is that pen lit up?" ... then I can say how it works and everyone notices it. I carry it all the time so that it serves both as a time management tool, it ensures my follow up because my notes are right in front of me and it is a great icebreaker to start a conversation!

*Make a point to find out your client's and contacts' preferred method of communication. While email is our total business communication tool, when I ask this question, many people still say, "phone" - so make a point to call them first besides sending an email. I now find that some of my contacts also prefer text messaging - so make sure you get your fingers moving and stay current.

I write down in my database - every client and contact's preferred method of communication and use my Power of Three everyday - I send 3 additional emails, 3 additional phone messages and 3 additional text messages - JUST to stay in touch and be on their radar screen with an article, note or a thank you.

*Pull out a pen and paper. The art of the handwritten, personal note is something of an antique today and that is why it gets noticed. The post office tells us that only 4% of our mail is personal. Take the time to write a note to say hello, thank you for the business, thank you for the recommendation and even if you are rejected - thank you for your time and consideration.

"These suggestions are all 'going back to basics' - simple and easy to implement into your daily schedule," says Nierenberg. Try them out today!

Andrea Nierenberg is the president of The Nierenberg Group, a business communications company with a total process for educating, motivating and connecting people. Learn more at www.nierenberggroup.com

No comments: